2012 – 2013


Officers: Captain Matthew Guinness; Secretary Johnny Purkiss

2012-13 was the first season under the new co-promotional arrangement with the ‘Visit Scarborough’ tourism board and consequently, mainly because of social media, the reputation of Queen’s College A.F.C. has been spread far and wide. On the pitch Queen’s got off to an impressive start in early autumn, with a pre-season victory over premier league side Exeter, and the long list of names from Freshers’ Fair suggesting that 2013 might be a strong vintage. A thrilling 5-4 victory against New in the first league game, with a hat-trick from Alex McDonald, was further cause for optimism. Moreover, a dazzling display of attacking flair in the first round of Cuppers saw Queen’s dismiss Merton/Mansfield with a 7-2 win, thereby ending a three-year Cuppers losing streak in emphatic fashion.

However, hopes for a large group of talented freshers challenging for the 1st XI did not materialise, and the squad had an alarming lack of depth. League form faded throughout Michaelmas Term, and a 4-2 win against St Anne’s was the only other highlight as Q.C.A.F.C. went into the Christmas vacation in the relegation zone. With Fred Johnson unfortunately side-lined, a fracture to James Colenutt’s hand during the 5-4 second round defeat by Christ Church added injury to insult, and Queen’s were left with no recognised goalkeepers in the entire College. By no means coincidental were the nine goals conceded in the last two games of Michaelmas Term.

Hilary Term was characterised by a quite astonishing proneness to giving away large leads in short spaces of time: 4-1 against New with eight minutes to go turned into 4-4; 2-0 against Brasenose became 2-2; and 5-3 against Merton/Mansfield with five minutes left turned into 5-5. This meant that Queen’s were consigned to relegation from the first division. Little consolation was found in the fact that the 96 goals in the fourteen games played must have made Queen’s matches a favourite for neutral fans of college football.

The 2nd XI fared better in the reserves fourth division, winning nine out of ten games to gain promotion under the diligent guidance of Jon Lindfield. The Animals also achieved an impressive fourth place in the same division. The league fixture between the 2nd XI and the Animals was a memorable affair as was the match between a Finalists XI and a non-Finalists XI on the last weekend of Hilary Term, which resulted in a 5-2 victory for the Finalists.

Since a significant portion of the Q.C.A.F.C. squad is leaving this year, the 2013-14 season could be something of a rebuilding project. However, with a strong intake of freshers in October, there would be plenty of cause for optimism under the competent leadership of centre-back stalwart, Carl Jones. James Colenutt and Andy Russell, 2nd and 3rd XI captains respectively, will undoubtedly also do the Club proud in their roles. The Club would like to extend fond farewells and thanks to the departing legends of the Club: Tom Castro, Milo Comerford, Matthew Guinness, Fred Johnson, Alex McDonald, Joe Moxham, Harry Sever, and Christian Walters. Animals heroes such as James Dinsdale, Cameron Graley, and countless others, will also be sorely missed. Thanks also to Peter Southwell for his undying support and half-time oranges, and to Martin Cross for his exemplary work as groundsman, preparing a perfect pitch several times a week despite one of the wettest winters since records began.


Officers: Captain Rose Rands; Secretary Anna McHugh

Since, in recent years, the Queens’ women’s side has struggled to produce a team every game, the first priority for this year’s squad was to achieve this and it is a pleasure to report that this occurred for every match this season. Women’s football in Queen’s has seen an increase in popularity and is being seen more and more as an inclusive and enjoyable sport. Furthermore, the enthusiasm resulted in a higher total of goals scored than the last few years put together, with an increase in fitness and skill from all the players as the season progressed. Anna McHugh’s five goals made her the team’s top goal-scorer. The team also acquired a goalkeeper (and all round good footballer) from the new batch of freshers, Queenie Chan, who has proved to be one of the strongest members of the team.

Due to an unfortunate turn of events, the team failed to get through the first round of Cuppers, but it did manage to remain in the same league division, winning half of its league games, a significant improvement on last year. The social life of the Club has been a great success, the pre-Christmas event being a particular highlight. The Club wishes a farewell to those dedicated members of the team who are leaving this year and thanks them for their invaluable contribution, and is confident that next year’s team will continue to build upon this year’s progress.