2013 – 2014


Officer: Captain Carl Jones

A season of rebuilding was in store for the 1st XI after the loss of eight key players from the previous season. Whilst on paper it may seem to have been a slightly disappointing season, an extended Cuppers run and some high-class performances deserved a richer reward. An exciting crop of talented freshers including Mark Giza, top-scorer Charles Hicks, player of the season Daniel Simpson and captain-elect John Church along with Scandinavian talisman Andreas Saastad provided the foundations for a solid and slick team.

The new season started as the previous one had finished with the team leaking goals and struggling to hang on to slender leads. A solitary point from the first four games led to a change from the trusty 4-4-2 formation. The new fluid 4-3-3 formation seemed to have turned the corner after a stunning display saw Queen’s pick up its first victory with a 10-2 demolition of St Peter’s. The season progressed with several similar performances. However, despite a nine-game unbeaten run the league campaign eventually ended in a fourth place finish, largely due to the slow start.

Whilst the team was struggling to find its feet in the league it appeared that Cuppers could bring some joy. Hicks scored a first-half hat-trick as the team’s dominating 8-0 performance saw it sail through the first round of Cuppers. Queen’s went on to book its ticket to the quarter-finals after a well-deserved 4-0 victory over Hertford, including goals from Saastad and Jonathan Purkiss upon his return from injury. However, after matching Cuppers-holders Worcester for more than seventy minutes in a cagey quarter-final, a moment of brilliance from one of their many Blues players saw them take the lead, the thirty yard free kick leaving the exceptional James Colenutt with no chance in goal.

The season ended with a tour to Cambridge and a hugely enjoyable 3-2 victory over sister college and Cambridge Cuppers winners Pembroke, Q.C.A.F.C. veteran Jonathan Lindfield bagging a brace in the spring sunshine to produce a fitting end to an enjoyable season.

The 2nd XI, captained by the enthusiastic James Colenutt, had a remarkable year. After promotion the previous season the team could have been forgiven for consolidating its position in the third division. However, six wins from nine games and only a single loss saw the team easily gain a second promotion in a row. The performance in Cuppers almost saw them round off an excellent year with a trip to Iffley Road, foiled only by a narrow 2-1 loss to eventual winners Wadham in the semi-finals. The 3rd XI, captained by the ever-present Andrew Russell, provided a lot of pleasure for those representing the team along with some fantastic goals and a particularly enjoyable 5-3 win against St Edmund Hall.

Thanks must go to all those who represented the Club this season, to Martin Cross, the groundsman, and to Peter Southwell, Daniel Inman and Martin Edwards, the Club’s most loyal supporters. The Club is hoping that a large number of players of all abilities will emerge from the 2014 freshers.


Officers: Captain Anna McHugh; Secretary Jessica Edwards

It is pleasing to report that, building upon previous years, this season has seen a rise in the popularity of women’s football in Queen’s. The season has been a great success, culminating in promotion to the second division of the league. The recruitment of a number of eager freshers, as well as debut team appearances from girls in other years, produced impressive turnouts in all matches. The training sessions in the early part of the season, which focused on improving skills and ball control, played a major part in the development of the team, which is very grateful for the help given by Carl Jones and Jonathan Lindfield.

The season started with a solid 7-1 win over Brasenose, which included a hat-trick from Louise Tull on her first appearance. Her superb finishing ability made her top goal-scorer over the course of the season. The team was less fortunate in its first Cuppers match against Pembroke/Corpus Christi which saw a 7-0 defeat. However, the team’s improvement over the term was displayed in the league match against the same team, which ended in a reversal of the score. Unfortunately, following a hard-fought match against New College in the second Cuppers group-stage match, the team failed to progress further in the competition, despite some fine saves from goalkeeper Sophie Ward. The team remained undefeated in the league during Hilary Term with a 2-0 win over St Hilda’s/St Peter’s and a 2-1 win over Balliol/Regent’s. The Club wishes to thank all the dedicated members of the team for their contribution and wishes farewell to all those leaving this year. Q.C.W.A.F.C. has a lot to look forward to next year in the second division of the league, hopefully continuing this year’s progress in the talented and capable hands of Lydia Cockburn.